Share a nugget of information that will help the dE community. Please keep it to 2 sentences. Short and sweet

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why is it that in most every profession I can think of it is accepted practice and a learning curve is planned for. What other profession than the auto industry do people expect the new hire to "start at the top". Why is there no apprentice like program for new automotive salespeople? I am talking about a thorough plan to progress a person. Most every profession requires years of book knowledge, then working knowledge and all the while the employee grows with the profession. Yet in auto sales we promise riches and expect a person to come in cold and SELL at the rate of top producers and then get all beside ourselves when they don't. Why not have "junior" or "apprentice" level salespeople? Why not allow them an opportunity to learn the business, learn how to sell, build a client base and add long term value to the dealership?
Hiring always starts with a prepared in advance, structured interview that is consistently given to each applicant. Once hired, the new employee should be given the protocol for minimum standards and growth that each employee is held to. Individuals with an eye for success will rise to the level of expectation set before them if they can clearly understand what is expected of them. Those that do not rise to the challenge should be challenged to find other opportunities.

Craig Lockerd said:
Always went by something i was told a long time ago in reagard to the decision to let somebody go.
Is the person willing and able?

....darn, you were listening.....lol
Ralph Rasmuson said:

Craig Lockerd said:
Always went by something i was told a long time ago in reagard to the decision to let somebody go.
Is the person willing and able?
Before I ever fired someone my biggest questions were: Did the person give up on the job or did we give up on the person? Is this person capable of doing this? And, finally, why is this person not working out?
Hire only people with DRIVE and grow and stretch their ability to perform Teach all the skills neccessary to make them your predecessor
All good points, but remember some salespeople flourish in one environment and fall in others.

Imagine being the Manager who fired Joe Gerard from his first dealership.....

Wonder what his words of wisdom would be.
Hire from within! Inter-department transfers and cross training to determine the highest and best use of your existing staff will improve employee retention and satisfaction.
I heard a quote by JFK that really hit me hard as it pertains to hiring and recruiting. " The best time to fix the leaking roof is when the sun is shining" Recruiting and hiring needs to be a part of our ongoing tasks. It should be in our daily routine. Often times when we wait until we need someone we lower our standard bar, we become less selective. Always be in search of outstanding talent. When you find someone truly skilled and talented, hire them!
Outstanding! I agree Drew with your thought. It only makes sense to evaluate all aspects of your dealership on a consistent basis including your people. Having a well planned, ongoing hiring process in place will help to keep people sharp and allow for better integration of newly hired.

Drew Anzalone said:
I heard a quote by JFK that really hit me hard as it pertains to hiring and recruiting. " The best time to fix the leaking roof is when the sun is shining" Recruiting and hiring needs to be a part of our ongoing tasks. It should be in our daily routine. Often times when we wait until we need someone we lower our standard bar, we become less selective. Always be in search of outstanding talent. When you find someone truly skilled and talented, hire them!
Hire with a straightforward approach with a clear understanding of what is wanted, needed and expected. Than train them with all the tools needed to preforme. Continue the training if you want them to exceed the goals. Stop training and they will undoubtedly fall below the mark. That is when you will be forced to replace them.

A wise man taught me long ago to do one more thing before pulling the trigger and letting an employee go. I was to look in the miror and ask this question..."Have I done everything possible to give this person the best chance to succeed. If the answer was "no" then I needed to go back and do just that, if the answer was "yes" then no hesitation and move on for everyones sake!" We see so many cases of turnover where we get new faces without fixing the internal issues, such as too little training, structure and accountability for both managers and salespeople (and other employees as well).

RSS

© 2024   Created by DealerELITE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service