Here is a question for dealers. How many of you have started using mobile apps? I have an app for almost all of the businesses I frequent but I am finding our industry is behind.  I do everything from setting appointments to picking my seat on a flight.  It would be interesting to hear from some of you.  Don't worry, we do not sell apps I am just curious.

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good morning Sally. This is one of my favorite topics and one I seem to discuss multiple times per week in the automotive industry. It is pretty easy for us to get lost with all the new technology out there, and it's important to underdstand the numbers from a consumer standpoint. I see the mobile website as a must have for any business! Anyone who has a cell phone that has web access will be able to view and shop. In order for consumers to use an App, they must have a smartphone. (iPhone & Android typically) Believe it or not, the numbers are still pretty low with regards to the number of smartphones out there compared with cell phones with internet access. I believe that you will see the App take off, but it still could take some time. I believe the mobile site will reach about 85% of the consumers out there, compared to an App that may touch less than 30%. Hope this helps?

Sean I am shocked that the amount of smart phones is that low! Thanks for the information. I really feel that a successful dealership should offer both of these features to their clients. Once you do get a smart phone you quickly learn how convenient it is to use these types of apps. The next generation of buyers will appreciate your efforts and it could be one of many amenities you have to offer to get their loyalty.

Sean Brown said:

Good morning Sally. This is one of my favorite topics and one I seem to discuss multiple times per week in the automotive industry. It is pretty easy for us to get lost with all the new technology out there, and it's important to underdstand the numbers from a consumer standpoint. I see the mobile website as a must have for any business! Anyone who has a cell phone that has web access will be able to view and shop. In order for consumers to use an App, they must have a smartphone. (iPhone & Android typically) Believe it or not, the numbers are still pretty low with regards to the number of smartphones out there compared with cell phones with internet access. I believe that you will see the App take off, but it still could take some time. I believe the mobile site will reach about 85% of the consumers out there, compared to an App that may touch less than 30%. Hope this helps?

Hi Sally,

I couldn't agree with you more with regards to auto dealers having both an App & a Mobile Site. As the owner of a mobile marketing company outside of the auto industry, I've seen some great ROI with our customers who really utilize their App in the right way. On the automotive side of the ball, I've seen some slower adoption with regards to new technology, so the challenge will be education, education, education. I notice when speaking with my clients, that they can very easily understand why they need a mobile site.......but I can see them struggling when discussing QR Codes, Apps, SMS, & even Social.

I did some quick research on the numbers again and wanted to share.....the number of folks who have a smartphone is actually up from around 36% in 2011 to just under 50% in 2012. ( http://www.tuaw.com/2012/03/29/nielsen-smartphones-dominate-us-phon...

Have a Great Weekend,

Sean Brown

Sally Whitesell said:

Sean I am shocked that the amount of smart phones is that low! Thanks for the information. I really feel that a successful dealership should offer both of these features to their clients. Once you do get a smart phone you quickly learn how convenient it is to use these types of apps. The next generation of buyers will appreciate your efforts and it could be one of many amenities you have to offer to get their loyalty.

Sean Brown said:

RSS

© 2024   Created by DealerELITE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service