A Few Must do's when hiring personnel...
1. Advertise using multiple sources
2. Immediately contact applicants
3. Screen, Schedule Interviews
4. Interview each applicant in an equal and professional manner
5. Provide training as needed
...a few others
1. Utilize an electronic applicant tracking system
2. Create ads using key and tag words that help maximize exposure
3. Using a success predictor as an aid, not a definitive
4. Set aside the time to do everything properly
There are other things that must be done. What are you doing in addition to what is listed above to help create a successful hiring effort?
Thank you for sharing this valuable information with the dE members.
Jim, I also agree with your comment "The problem is that Managers in many cases do not have the time to do this"
As you both know I am a believer that most dealerships (Without HR departments) should partner with a Recruiting firm that handles some of the steps Ernie suggested.
Your welcome, Chris, and thank you. Without quality people; what else is there? How much more enjoyable, yes, enjoyable would our jobs be if we were surrounded by people who were fully capable, prepared and desired to be at their best? These type of people exist.
There are so many things that has to be done but also going the extra mile to let them know that you're willing to make this a home for them. We want to hear them say that they want this to be their home but what do we do to provide the atmosphere? It's different times for different minds. Adapt to retain.
It is a good point, Arthur. In our line of work we see well run organizations and others that are less so. Immediately apparent is the culture within the store and willingness to work together.