Two years ago, (Boy does time fly) I was in Massachusetts at a very large dealer group. I wanted to prove to my newly trained professionals that going out for an hour during lunch and letting people know who you are, making yourself more "human", will bring in business. I took 5 students and we went out for one hour. As a group, they sold AN ADDITIONAL 50 units that month. Prospecting works, if done properly.  Why aren't you doing it at your dealership? What do you think about this?

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, Fran, I know you are the prospecting King, and any advice you give, I listen.

Fran Taylor said:

Some dealers do a good job prospecting. The dealers that don't prospect think they do prospecting. There are two kinds of prospectin. Taking care of old customers and looking for new. A sales person has to do both to be successful.

Some managers say they don't have time to go prospecting. If that is the case they should get someone to do it for them. 99% of dealers today will tell you their sales people don't have 5 prospecting tools. The dealer that is smart enough to do this will crush the so called competition in time. Guaranteed.

If you close 30% of your clients, you are in the dealer hall of fame. It means 70% of the people won't like you. The analogy is always baseball. If you hit 300.... Right. By the way, when will YOU be ready....... lol.
Gregg Morris said:

For every No there is a YES around the corner.  We, as salesman must always prospect, never feel rejection from someone. Always feel that the reason people say no thanks is because they are the ones that need education about your product and when they have the knowledge they are more open to a yes.  They need our help to lead them.  And remember,

You can not close what you cant control.

I find it interesting that there are not more people involved in this discussion. I suspect that because the majority wait for the up bus to arrive, They have nothing to say. However, this may not be a bad thing. All it means that there is an opportunity to make more money. There are certainly enough articles and professionals, like those at Automax and certainly, Fran Taylor, whose job it is to train and get you going. What on earth is holding you back?  Afraid to talk?  Then you are in the wrong business, (Let's call it for what it is.  This is a business of communication) You are making All the Money You Need... Who are you kidding. Embarassed to ask for help?  Get over it, when money is concerned, you can make excuses or you can make money. You can't do both...
I have stopped prospecting for tiday and won't tomorrow, but you bet your bibby, come Sunday, I am off and running. I want 2011 to be MY year and I am the only one that can make it happen.  I definately cannot depend on anyone else.  This has been proven.
Dealers hire but don't train.  Some dealers have the belief that they want to get into their salesstaff's warm market and then dump them. They know there are enough desparate people out there in today's economy to keep applying. The falicy is that it would cost them a lot less to properly train these people and keep them The time that the manager has to be with these people and them blowing through ups, just does not make it worth it. Treat your best like gold. Train them and then train them somemore.  They will build your business and think of what you will save in advertising.
Well Bob, for many years I have seen dealers repeat the sins of their fathers.  Times have changed and selling skills have not.  Oh yes objections have variables unseen in the recent past, but speaking honestly things with customers remain the same. They have much more information about the product they are purchasing and the relative cost, via the internet. Dealers and their managers who have not "eorked" at training and training again will go by the way in the near future.  I have implemented prospecting and prospect handling once they are found as a real focus in all my training.  Methods vary, but truthfully, prospecting is more important than the walk in.  Closing percentages, closer to buying Blah, Blah Blah.  Train the dealer, train the managers and then train them again.  Prospecting and training is the lifeline to the future.

Bob Gaber said:
Dealers hire but don't train.  Some dealers have the belief that they want to get into their salesstaff's warm market and then dump them. They know there are enough desparate people out there in today's economy to keep applying. The falicy is that it would cost them a lot less to properly train these people and keep them The time that the manager has to be with these people and them blowing through ups, just does not make it worth it. Treat your best like gold. Train them and then train them somemore.  They will build your business and think of what you will save in advertising.
William, that is what make you who you are. The dealers need to understand this and get this. Prospecting is not just effective. It is highly effective.

William P Alberts said:
Well Bob, for many years I have seen dealers repeat the sins of their fathers.  Times have changed and selling skills have not.  Oh yes objections have variables unseen in the recent past, but speaking honestly things with customers remain the same. They have much more information about the product they are purchasing and the relative cost, via the internet. Dealers and their managers who have not "eorked" at training and training again will go by the way in the near future.  I have implemented prospecting and prospect handling once they are found as a real focus in all my training.  Methods vary, but truthfully, prospecting is more important than the walk in.  Closing percentages, closer to buying Blah, Blah Blah.  Train the dealer, train the managers and then train them again.  Prospecting and training is the lifeline to the future.

Bob Gaber said:

Has anyone noticed that not one dealer owner, GM or GSM is participating in this discussion?  

Based on my observations and research the folks running our industry (car people) don't have time to spend on these forums and the majority of auto retail managers  don't know these networks exist.

All the great insights, suggestions, and accurate observations we make as vendors on this forum are basically singing to the choir.

If you want to see real change in our Industry, the OEMs need to change their tactics, relationships and incentives with their dealer networks.  Until then the dealers are just working their pay plan, and often prospecting is not part of their required activities.

Mark,

Right on.

Mark Dubis said:

Has anyone noticed that not one dealer owner, GM or GSM is participating in this discussion?  

Based on my observations and research the folks running our industry (car people) don't have time to spend on these forums and the majority of auto retail managers  don't know these networks exist.

All the great insights, suggestions, and accurate observations we make as vendors on this forum are basically singing to the choir.

If you want to see real change in our Industry, the OEMs need to change their tactics, relationships and incentives with their dealer networks.  Until then the dealers are just working their pay plan, and often prospecting is not part of their required activities.

OOOOOOOK....So why don't salespeople prospect?......Why doesn't anyone prospect? Let see how this gets answered.
AutoMax has 33 people including trainers and sales support staff.I wonder if...1500 calls a day are being made? I wonder if 1500 emails a day are being sent? I wonder if 30 hours a day are being spent on social media sites, being "social"? I wonder if any Dealer/Manager gets asked face to face to do business with us today?...............just sayin
excellent point! Did you know that in the last two months alone, I sent out well over 10,000 emails and faxes combined, contacted every dealer that I knew and didn't know and none of it for me? I have zero idea whether or not it helped, BUT, I will guarantee this, with continued effort, they will know my name and when THEY ARE READY, they will know where to turn. Funny thing, I haven't stopped my efforts, although my wife says I need to be a little more selfish. So, to answer the question. I cannot speak for others, but it is like social media, when the student is ready, the teach will be there...

Craig Lockerd said:
OOOOOOOK....So why don't salespeople prospect?......Why doesn't anyone prospect? Let see how this gets answered.
AutoMax has 33 people including trainers and sales support staff.I wonder if...1500 calls a day are being made? I wonder if 1500 emails a day are being sent? I wonder if 30 hours a day are being spent on social media sites, being "social"? I wonder if any Dealer/Manager gets asked face to face to do business with us today?...............just sayin

One of the big mistakes people in the car business make is failure to make it public notice to EVERYONE what it is that you do for a living...... How many times did a relative, friend, acquaintance, merchant your regularly do business with, etc..boast to you about a new/used vehicle purchase, and when  you ask why they didn't come see you, they say..."I didn't know that is what you did!" or "You are still there, I wasn't sure where you were working!", or I thought you sold Chevy's, didn't know you sold used cars too!".  As salespeople, as long as we are breathing, we are prospecting!  This can work in a positive or negative fashion!  If you visit the same drycleaners every week, and they know where you work and what you do, and you go there and act like a jerk, you are in fact turning business away!  You must be in the game 24/7!

Also, join local groups, small business, Lions Club, Kiwanis, etc... Members of the group will buy from you and will always send referrals if they like you! I have seen sales consultants leave this up to management to get involved in the community, then you have to rely on that manager handing over the "house" deal to you! 

Wear a gold or silver name tag on your lapel or shirt, and wherever you go, people will see your name and where you work!  Visit the local industrial park and aks to put up business cards, or even include payroll stuffers with a coupon included... There are so many ideas...It is really quite easy!  However, I think that it is left up to sales consultants to be a voluntary task, rather than an expected and enforced responsibility!

RSS

© 2024   Created by DealerELITE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service