Share a nugget of information that will help the dE community. Please keep it to 2 sentences. Short and sweet

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hiring: Asking the right questions. Not hiring based on our emotional needs and the pressure to fill that open spot in the showroom. The end product is we hurt the dealership and the person we hired.
Hiring: Beware of the professional "interviewers"...They probably have had way too much experience participating in the interviewing process.... Sometimes the worst applicant in the interview turns into the best employee....
Call as many references as you can... get personal character references as well as past employers. Many HR offices and Supervisors are very careful now disclosing too much information and being sued,; however listed to how they speak about that person... tonality of their voice as they are confirming dates of employment will tell a story!

Ask real dealership-world style questions and be specific... I usually do this in a story-like fashion... Let me tell you what happened here the other day.... How would you have handled this particular situation?

Funny, not too long ago, I was interviewing about 10 applicants for a service manager's position. These applicants were all experienced service managers and had all worked for similar stores. I asked the same questions and got 10 very different answers!

..True NancyI, when I ran store and hired salespeople..I would ask "Who are you, did you send your twin brother in here to interview?"
NANCY SIMMONS said:
Hiring: Beware of the professional "interviewers"...They probably have had way too much experience participating in the interviewing process.... Sometimes the worst applicant in the interview turns into the best employee....
Call as many references as you can... get personal character references as well as past employers. Many HR offices and Supervisors are very careful now disclosing too much information and being sued,; however listed to how they speak about that person... tonality of their voice as they are confirming dates of employment will tell a story!

Ask real dealership-world style questions and be specific... I usually do this in a story-like fashion... Let me tell you what happened here the other day.... How would you have handled this particular situation?

Funny, not too long ago, I was interviewing about 10 applicants for a service manager's position. These applicants were all experienced service managers and had all worked for similar stores. I asked the same questions and got 10 very different answers!

..agreed Joe!
Joseph M Bonincontri said:
Hiring: Asking the right questions. Not hiring based on our emotional needs and the pressure to fill that open spot in the showroom. The end product is we hurt the dealership and the person we hired.

Love them both David!
David Johnson said:
Hire: Don't be afraid to ask the tough questions during the interview, the only people you will turn off are the ones you DON't want to hire. Ask hypothetical questions to get them talking, "What would you do if a customer told you that you only had 10 minutes to earn their business?"

Fire: Letting the under performers go will actually increase moral and possibly increase your sales.
Most responses that I see in this strand are good rhetoric, but how many dealers today have a formal/legal/deligent prepared outline of questions that the Sr. management prepares and reviews with long term/competent managers for Variable or Fixed opeations, leading into potential hire with a 'job description' that is finite, with performance objectives and extensive policy and procedural venacular to be utilized for a 90 day and 1 yr evaluation to assist the hirees expectation of performance standards and processes+ knowing a review of their employment is derived on some rating metric system relative to the prior. This Business is a Science now as in the past and needs some continuity to Fortune 500 company P+Ps..........
Ties directly into the full circle of fundamental hiring/firing protocol via conveyances in the Interviewing processes provided by self.
Hire them all !!!!!!!
And put your heart and passion to work with them!
Anybody can hire a superstar!
They fired me the first 3 weeks at the first three dealerships I worked for!
They never knew I had 3 kids and a 1982 4 door cavalier with no a/c in 1988!
I bought all my clothes at goodwill shoes, shirts, tie, slacks.
and all the books I could find for 50 cents about selling!
And the rest is History!

"I Am A Salesman"

I am proud to be a salesman, because more than any other man, I and millions of others like me, built America.
The man who builds a better mouse trap - or a better anything - would starve to death if he waited for people to beat a pathway to his door. Regardless of how good or how needed the product or service might be, it has to be sold.
Eli Whitney was laughed at when he showed his cotton gin. Edison had to install his electric light free of charge in an office building before anyone would even look at it. The first sewing machine was smashed to pieces by a Boston mob. People scoffed at the idea of railroads. They thought that traveling even thirty miles an hour would stop the circulation of the blood! McCormick strived for 14 years to get people to use his reaper. Westinghouse was considered a fool for stating he could stop a train with wind. Morse had to plead before 10 Congresses before they would even look at his telegraph.
The public didn't go around demanding these things; they had to be sold!!
They needed thousands of salesmen, trailblazers and pioneers - people who could persuade with the same effectiveness as the inventor could invent. Salesmen took these inventions, sold the public on what these products could do, taught customers how to use them, and then taught businessmen how to make a profit from them.
As a salesman, I've done more to make America what it is today than any other person you know. I was just as vital in your great-great-grandfather's day. I have educated more people, created more jobs, taken more drudgery from the laborer's work, given more profits to businessmen, and have given more people a fuller and richer life than anyone in history. I've dragged prices down, pushed quality up, and made it possible for you to enjoy the comforts and luxuries of automobiles, radios, electric refrigerators, televisions, and air conditioned homes and buildings. I've healed the sick, given security to the aged, and put thousands of young men and women through college. I've made it possible for inventors to invent, for factories to hum, and for ships to sail the seven seas.
How much money you find in your pay envelope next week, and whether in the future you will enjoy the luxuries of prefabricated homes, stratospheric flying of airplanes, and new world of jet propulsion and atomic power, depends on me. The loaf of bread you bought today was on a baker's shelf because I made sure that a farmer's wheat got to a mill, that the mill made wheat into flour, and that the flour was delivered to your baker.
Without me, the wheels of industry would come to a grinding halt. And with that, jobs, marriages, politics and freedom of thought would be a thing of the past. I AM A SALESMAN and I'm proud and grateful that as such, I serve my family, my fellow man and my country.

The lot lizard

Been in car biz over 22 years.

Fin Mgr Ran 2200 to 2500 a copy

Salesman 2700 a copy

Other Hobbies

Floor Mgr, Sales Mgr, F&I Mgr, Internet Mgr, Fleet Mgr.

In every position Ive worked in I have broken records!
Thats what turns me on!

What ever capacity I'm in I want to know what the record is.

I know if I bust the the record ...The Money will follow!

"If you can't win"

"Make the one ahead of you break the record."

I never lie to any person because I don't fear anyone.
The only time you lie is when you are afraid......
To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children,
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty,
to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child, a garden patch....to know even one
life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

Everything worth having is just outside of your comfort zone.

I am too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated.

If you think something is worth it, go for it. Don't worry about the costs because the benefits will always out weigh them.

LAST CAR GIG. Manage Subprime internet leads....Arrange financing....making sure all deals are funded on a timely manner...
Responsable for 65% of the new and used car Gross profit.!

Manny "Machine Gun" Luna

Most cars sold in one month...56 units!
Most gross in one month...195,000!
Most gross on one deal 22,000.00!
Most income selling cars in a month 37,000.00
YES selling one on one...

"Do The Natural And Depend On The Supernatural"

We seldom come across a dealer as you have described.Management turnover, poor training and development of management to carry out what you suggest seems to be the reason.The cause then would point to the Principle, him or herself.How did that culture start at your store, what driving force or attitude made that happen?
Michael Baker said:
Most responses that I see in this strand are good rhetoric, but how many dealers today have a formal/legal/deligent prepared outline of questions that the Sr. management prepares and reviews with long term/competent managers for Variable or Fixed opeations, leading into potential hire with a 'job description' that is finite, with performance objectives and extensive policy and procedural venacular to be utilized for a 90 day and 1 yr evaluation to assist the hirees expectation of performance standards and processes+ knowing a review of their employment is derived on some rating metric system relative to the prior. This Business is a Science now as in the past and needs some continuity to Fortune 500 company P+Ps..........
I agree 100%, it also keeps both parties blood pressure and stress levals down.
Plan on a vast number of interviews. Select the very best for longevity. Train and mentor them every day.
There is always some fall out, so be smart talk with the ones that are not getting it. Let them release them selves and they will almost always remain civil and provide goodwill to your store with out unemployment charges. The dishonest or rule breakers terminate at once or they will poison your sales department and your store.
Two months under the minimums and the employee is terminated. Inspect what is expected and don't allow your top performers to pick up their slack and allow them to exist.
BULL!!!!!!!!
You don't know what your talking about, I went 12 months under the minimums my first two years and ended being a 50 car man!

Craig Lockerd said:

Amen!
JIm Fisher said:
Hiring: You should be constantly advertising, recruiting and interviewing applicants. Since most hires in the automobile business are done because of need and time is of the essence, we hire the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Since everyones expectations are low going in, pay plans for new salespeople are extremely risky for anyone to leave a job for the unknown. If the business is not confident that the employees will succeed, how can the employees be confident. Majority of hires are unemployed people who need a job and are willing to take the risk, because there is none. Hire for quality, not quantity. Screen the applicants for sales ability and never stop training them. Set minimum standards for SSI, volume and gross and put them back into training before letting them go back on the floor, if they fall below these minimums. Two months under the minimums and the employee is terminated. Inspect what is expected and don't allow your top performers to pick up their slack and allow them to exist.
Firing: See above procedure!

RSS

© 2024   Created by DealerELITE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service