Share a nugget of information that will help the dE community. Please keep it to 2 sentences. Short and sweet

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ray Macha, The best Sales Mgr and trainer I ever met NEVER FIRED A SOUL!
Why?
He took a 4 to 6 car man a month, my first two years in the biz and turned me into a 50 car man!
And I myself NEVER FIRED a salesman that I trained!
Now if he did something against the law, I had to.
Many of the salespeople I trained are now Owner's of dealerships, GM's, Fin MGR's and thats why when I went to work for SMA ALLIANCE I signed up 30 stores in 60 days!
They all paided it forward!
Firing a salesman makes all Mgrs Weak!
Getting job as car salesman

If you sell cars you and have any talent you probably have one of the most secure jobs in the dealership. So you want to sell cars?

The salesman works a couple of twelve hour shifts a week and every Saturday and if he does not sell enough cars he owes the dealership money.

The Salesman takes on all jobs in the dealership that have come available since they cut back and fired everyone who drew a salary all for free.

The Salesman gets blamed for not setting up the back end when the business manager does not sell anything.

The Salesman travels to the customers house or place of business to get the signature someone forgot.

The Salesman drives to a dealer 50 miles away for a dealer trade.

The Salesman does not get paid until everyone else does.

The Salesman learns most of the policies of a dealership after the fact.
The Salesman is the face of the dealership and the manufacturer. A manufacturer spends millions of dollars on ad campaigns. The dealership spends thousands of dollars on local ads in the newspaper and online. The Salesman is the first impression the customer encounters. Why are salesman untrained? The typical training at a dealership is handing them a bunch of brochures and have them try to remember the horse power and torque ratings of every car. Thrown to the wolves! It is what happened to the manager that is trying to train them. They can hire a company to teach salesman how to act like a baby boomer to sell to generation X.

To top things off the salesman is 100% commission and is asked to work 12 hour shifts and their duties are expanded to do everything the salaried workers used to do before they were laid off to save money? When all is said and done the salesman survives all and is the last one standing. Like a cockroach after a nuclear war.

By the way I would not trade my job!
Your fundamental duties above are rhetoric practices for th past 50 years and still true today. My conveyance was to provide a professional duty outine of expectation and a policy and procedural outline for consultants such as you to facilitate exceling in this challenging postion as managed for over 30 years and participated for over 5. I gather you are conveying with a great sales training/desk manager that he/she can mold with training/development sessions without everyone on the same sheet of policy and 'procedures' to create a team plan vs. an individual intuitive passion to excel.

MANNY LUNA said:
Hire them all !!!!!!!
And put your heart and passion to work with them!
Anybody can hire a superstar!
They fired me the first 3 weeks at the first three dealerships I worked for!
They never knew I had 3 kids and a 1982 4 door cavalier with no a/c in 1988!
I bought all my clothes at goodwill shoes, shirts, tie, slacks.
and all the books I could find for 50 cents about selling!
And the rest is History!

"I Am A Salesman"

I am proud to be a salesman, because more than any other man, I and millions of others like me, built America.
The man who builds a better mouse trap - or a better anything - would starve to death if he waited for people to beat a pathway to his door. Regardless of how good or how needed the product or service might be, it has to be sold.
Eli Whitney was laughed at when he showed his cotton gin. Edison had to install his electric light free of charge in an office building before anyone would even look at it. The first sewing machine was smashed to pieces by a Boston mob. People scoffed at the idea of railroads. They thought that traveling even thirty miles an hour would stop the circulation of the blood! McCormick strived for 14 years to get people to use his reaper. Westinghouse was considered a fool for stating he could stop a train with wind. Morse had to plead before 10 Congresses before they would even look at his telegraph.
The public didn't go around demanding these things; they had to be sold!!
They needed thousands of salesmen, trailblazers and pioneers - people who could persuade with the same effectiveness as the inventor could invent. Salesmen took these inventions, sold the public on what these products could do, taught customers how to use them, and then taught businessmen how to make a profit from them.
As a salesman, I've done more to make America what it is today than any other person you know. I was just as vital in your great-great-grandfather's day. I have educated more people, created more jobs, taken more drudgery from the laborer's work, given more profits to businessmen, and have given more people a fuller and richer life than anyone in history. I've dragged prices down, pushed quality up, and made it possible for you to enjoy the comforts and luxuries of automobiles, radios, electric refrigerators, televisions, and air conditioned homes and buildings. I've healed the sick, given security to the aged, and put thousands of young men and women through college. I've made it possible for inventors to invent, for factories to hum, and for ships to sail the seven seas.
How much money you find in your pay envelope next week, and whether in the future you will enjoy the luxuries of prefabricated homes, stratospheric flying of airplanes, and new world of jet propulsion and atomic power, depends on me. The loaf of bread you bought today was on a baker's shelf because I made sure that a farmer's wheat got to a mill, that the mill made wheat into flour, and that the flour was delivered to your baker.
Without me, the wheels of industry would come to a grinding halt. And with that, jobs, marriages, politics and freedom of thought would be a thing of the past. I AM A SALESMAN and I'm proud and grateful that as such, I serve my family, my fellow man and my country.

The lot lizard

Been in car biz over 22 years.

Fin Mgr Ran 2200 to 2500 a copy

Salesman 2700 a copy

Other Hobbies

Floor Mgr, Sales Mgr, F&I Mgr, Internet Mgr, Fleet Mgr.

In every position Ive worked in I have broken records!
Thats what turns me on!

What ever capacity I'm in I want to know what the record is.

I know if I bust the the record ...The Money will follow!

"If you can't win"

"Make the one ahead of you break the record."

I never lie to any person because I don't fear anyone.
The only time you lie is when you are afraid......
To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children,
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty,
to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child, a garden patch....to know even one
life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

Everything worth having is just outside of your comfort zone.

I am too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated.

If you think something is worth it, go for it. Don't worry about the costs because the benefits will always out weigh them.

LAST CAR GIG. Manage Subprime internet leads....Arrange financing....making sure all deals are funded on a timely manner...
Responsable for 65% of the new and used car Gross profit.!

Manny "Machine Gun" Luna

Most cars sold in one month...56 units!
Most gross in one month...195,000!
Most gross on one deal 22,000.00!
Most income selling cars in a month 37,000.00
YES selling one on one...

"Do The Natural And Depend On The Supernatural"
I feel sorry for the fact that for your first two years in the business were so bad. Did you just wake up one morning and decide not to be a minimum producer. You had the motivation, with the wife and kids, but something was missing. Someone finally came along and decided to take ownership of you and make you not only successful, but a super star. I sold 42 cars a month when there weren't any credit scores and you had to get taxes, license and profit as a down payment. If they were 60 days late at sears, they were turned down. I have hired over 1200 salespeople and trained over 7000 and the one thing that was consistent, was training on a daily basis for Managers and Salespeople. If Managers don't train their salespeople, the customer will. If the Dealers don't train their Managers, the salespeople will. Ownership of the people you hire and setting goals and standards from day one make the difference. Hire right, train consistently and make everyone accountable.

MANNY LUNA said:
Two months under the minimums and the employee is terminated. Inspect what is expected and don't allow your top performers to pick up their slack and allow them to exist.
BULL!!!!!!!!
You don't know what your talking about, I went 12 months under the minimums my first two years and ended being a 50 car man!

Craig Lockerd said:

Amen!
JIm Fisher said:
Hiring: You should be constantly advertising, recruiting and interviewing applicants. Since most hires in the automobile business are done because of need and time is of the essence, we hire the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Since everyones expectations are low going in, pay plans for new salespeople are extremely risky for anyone to leave a job for the unknown. If the business is not confident that the employees will succeed, how can the employees be confident. Majority of hires are unemployed people who need a job and are willing to take the risk, because there is none. Hire for quality, not quantity. Screen the applicants for sales ability and never stop training them. Set minimum standards for SSI, volume and gross and put them back into training before letting them go back on the floor, if they fall below these minimums. Two months under the minimums and the employee is terminated. Inspect what is expected and don't allow your top performers to pick up their slack and allow them to exist.
Firing: See above procedure!
Yes Sir Very True!!!

JIm Fisher said:
I feel sorry for the fact that for your first two years in the business were so bad. Did you just wake up one morning and decide not to be a minimum producer. You had the motivation, with the wife and kids, but something was missing. Someone finally came along and decided to take ownership of you and make you not only successful, but a super star. I sold 42 cars a month when there weren't any credit scores and you had to get taxes, license and profit as a down payment. If they were 60 days late at sears, they were turned down. I have hired over 1200 salespeople and trained over 7000 and the one thing that was consistent, was training on a daily basis for Managers and Salespeople. If Managers don't train their salespeople, the customer will. If the Dealers don't train their Managers, the salespeople will. Ownership of the people you hire and setting goals and standards from day one make the difference. Hire right, train consistently and make everyone accountable.

MANNY LUNA said:
Two months under the minimums and the employee is terminated. Inspect what is expected and don't allow your top performers to pick up their slack and allow them to exist.
BULL!!!!!!!!
You don't know what your talking about, I went 12 months under the minimums my first two years and ended being a 50 car man!

Craig Lockerd said:

Amen!
JIm Fisher said:
Hiring: You should be constantly advertising, recruiting and interviewing applicants. Since most hires in the automobile business are done because of need and time is of the essence, we hire the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Since everyones expectations are low going in, pay plans for new salespeople are extremely risky for anyone to leave a job for the unknown. If the business is not confident that the employees will succeed, how can the employees be confident. Majority of hires are unemployed people who need a job and are willing to take the risk, because there is none. Hire for quality, not quantity. Screen the applicants for sales ability and never stop training them. Set minimum standards for SSI, volume and gross and put them back into training before letting them go back on the floor, if they fall below these minimums. Two months under the minimums and the employee is terminated. Inspect what is expected and don't allow your top performers to pick up their slack and allow them to exist.
Firing: See above procedure!
I thank you so much!!!!
Sorry that I feel for the salesperson that gets fired everyday, Just wish I had a chance to them!

Michael Baker said:
Your fundamental duties above are rhetoric practices for th past 50 years and still true today. My conveyance was to provide a professional duty outine of expectation and a policy and procedural outline for consultants such as you to facilitate exceling in this challenging postion as managed for over 30 years and participated for over 5. I gather you are conveying with a great sales training/desk manager that he/she can mold with training/development sessions without everyone on the same sheet of policy and 'procedures' to create a team plan vs. an individual intuitive passion to excel.
Document. While working for a car dealer is considered to be an "at will" arrangement, we live in a letigious society. People love to claim that they were promised things that never happened. I cannot count the people who claim that they thought they were hired when I invited them back for their training. I prepared a non-hire disclosure form and presto, they cannot argue with their own signature. The same is true with salespeople. If there is an issue, document and have the salesperson sign. This does eliminate headaches and it also shows that you attempted to help those get better.
Not to "blow our horn" but what makes AutoMax so successful is that we require that the students must make a commitment. That commitment is an investment of both money and time. If they won't invest in themselves, why should the dealer? This eliminates the "job" seekers, and puts committed people in front of the dealer. Couple that with student presentations and you've simplified the hiring process. All of this does not guarantee success, but you certainly improve the odds.

Right you are David, if we think back in our lives about any event,relationship,school,job,sports...The result every single time can be directly linked to the Commitment that was made or lack thereof!
David L Hoier said:
Not to "blow our horn" but what makes AutoMax so successful is that we require that the students must make a commitment. That commitment is an investment of both money and time. If they won't invest in themselves, why should the dealer? This eliminates the "job" seekers, and puts committed people in front of the dealer. Couple that with student presentations and you've simplified the hiring process. All of this does not guarantee success, but you certainly improve the odds.

I did the same thing that you did Mr Creamer. I was out west working with a large dealer and was hiring some people. This guy walked in with long hair, a beard and looked a little rough. After about ten minutes he leaned forward and put his head down with both elbows on the table almost giving up. Mike then said look I just came off of a ten year relationship. I herd you can make a lot of money selling cars. I need to make a lot of money. I asked Mike if he was willing to change his appearance and invest in himself. He said yes. After getting a hair cut and ordering prospecting tools, I hired him.
Mike is one of the few people I have hired that made over $100,000 his first year. I agree with you Mr Creamer. All I did was listen to his sincerity. Then the training started. Good point Mr Creamer.

Dan Creamer said:
Two of the best salespeople who ever worked with me I hired while they were on parole from Walla Walla state prison in Washington State. I felt from the interviews that they were both sincerely remorseful and anxiously looking for a new start. It was also obvious that they had great personalities and a lot of street smarts and people savvy. Granted it was 1976 and I was not smart enough to worry about contingent liability or getting sued and today I would probably pass because of those kinds of considerations.
The point though is to ask questions and then listen to the answers. Be realistic in how you present the opportunity and after a good background check give the honest ones with potential a chance to prove themselves.
I love both story's!!!!!!

Fran Taylor said:

I did the same thing that you did Mr Creamer. I was out west working with a large dealer and was hiring some people. This guy walked in with long hair, a beard and looked a little rough. After about ten minutes he leaned forward and put his head down with both elbows on the table almost giving up. Mike then said look I just came off of a ten year relationship. I herd you can make a lot of money selling cars. I need to make a lot of money. I asked Mike if he was willing to change his appearance and invest in himself. He said yes. After getting a hair cut and ordering prospecting tools, I hired him.
Mike is one of the few people I have hired that made over $100,000 his first year. I agree with you Mr Creamer. All I did was listen to his sincerity. Then the training started. Good point Mr Creamer.

Dan Creamer said:
Two of the best salespeople who ever worked with me I hired while they were on parole from Walla Walla state prison in Washington State. I felt from the interviews that they were both sincerely remorseful and anxiously looking for a new start. It was also obvious that they had great personalities and a lot of street smarts and people savvy. Granted it was 1976 and I was not smart enough to worry about contingent liability or getting sued and today I would probably pass because of those kinds of considerations.
The point though is to ask questions and then listen to the answers. Be realistic in how you present the opportunity and after a good background check give the honest ones with potential a chance to prove themselves.

RSS

© 2024   Created by DealerELITE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service