Share a nugget of information that will help the dE community. Please keep it to 2 sentences. Short and sweet

Views: 302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is an old saying that is very appropriate -- "The best time to fire someone is before you hire them". That speaks to the importance of having meaningful interviews with candidates, not just seat-of-the pants discussions. We need to ask probing questions and stop accepting fluff answers like "I'm a people person and I want to make money". What would you expect them to say - "I hate people and I want to be destitute". Have a well thought-out list of open-ended questions and you can often uncover the real person before it is too late.
Be Slow To Hire And Fast To Fire.
Great Wisdom David....:)



David Martin said:
There is an old saying that is very appropriate -- "The best time to fire someone is before you hire them". That speaks to the importance of having meaningful interviews with candidates, not just seat-of-the pants discussions. We need to ask probing questions and stop accepting fluff answers like "I'm a people person and I want to make money". What would you expect them to say - "I hate people and I want to be destitute". Have a well thought-out list of open-ended questions and you can often uncover the real person before it is too late.
Always be hiring. Have you noticed that the people who are good at conducting an interview are the people who do it all the time. I agree with David Martin, you need to have a plan, a list of good questions to ask and layer from. Don't accept fluff answers. But it takes practice to get good at actively listening to spot the person just giving the answer they think you want to hear. Last note - if you could replace your worst employee with one you knew had the skills and personality of your best employee, would you do it? Always be hiring!
Don't be afraid to make a mistake. This remains a people business and therefore unpredictable. And, yes, while there are a multitude of predictive indexes that can be used to help in the hiring process, even the best are not bullet proof.
Hiring: You should be constantly advertising, recruiting and interviewing applicants. Since most hires in the automobile business are done because of need and time is of the essence, we hire the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Since everyones expectations are low going in, pay plans for new salespeople are extremely risky for anyone to leave a job for the unknown. If the business is not confident that the employees will succeed, how can the employees be confident. Majority of hires are unemployed people who need a job and are willing to take the risk, because there is none. Hire for quality, not quantity. Screen the applicants for sales ability and never stop training them. Set minimum standards for SSI, volume and gross and put them back into training before letting them go back on the floor, if they fall below these minimums. Two months under the minimums and the employee is terminated. Inspect what is expected and don't allow your top performers to pick up their slack and allow them to exist.
Firing: See above procedure!

Agree with that,always push your bottom up!
Steven Haas said:
Always be hiring. Have you noticed that the people who are good at conducting an interview are the people who do it all the time. I agree with David Martin, you need to have a plan, a list of good questions to ask and layer from. Don't accept fluff answers. But it takes practice to get good at actively listening to spot the person just giving the answer they think you want to hear. Last note - if you could replace your worst employee with one you knew had the skills and personality of your best employee, would you do it? Always be hiring!

Amen!
JIm Fisher said:
Hiring: You should be constantly advertising, recruiting and interviewing applicants. Since most hires in the automobile business are done because of need and time is of the essence, we hire the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Since everyones expectations are low going in, pay plans for new salespeople are extremely risky for anyone to leave a job for the unknown. If the business is not confident that the employees will succeed, how can the employees be confident. Majority of hires are unemployed people who need a job and are willing to take the risk, because there is none. Hire for quality, not quantity. Screen the applicants for sales ability and never stop training them. Set minimum standards for SSI, volume and gross and put them back into training before letting them go back on the floor, if they fall below these minimums. Two months under the minimums and the employee is terminated. Inspect what is expected and don't allow your top performers to pick up their slack and allow them to exist.
Firing: See above procedure!

Very true Ernie I think that fear of making the wrong hiring decision does freeze some people so they end up doing nothing.
Ernie Kasprowicz said:
Don't be afraid to make a mistake. This remains a people business and therefore unpredictable. And, yes, while there are a multitude of predictive indexes that can be used to help in the hiring process, even the best are not bullet proof.
Always went by something i was told a long time ago in reagard to the decision to let somebody go.
Is the person willing and able?
How many times have some of you sat down to "launch" a salesperson and they "sold you' on keeping them? Might have been the first time you saw some fire in them was when you were about to let them go.
Hire: Don't be afraid to ask the tough questions during the interview, the only people you will turn off are the ones you DON't want to hire. Ask hypothetical questions to get them talking, "What would you do if a customer told you that you only had 10 minutes to earn their business?"

Fire: Letting the under performers go will actually increase moral and possibly increase your sales.

RSS

Latest Activity

Anna Wrench posted a blog post

The Buyers Guide To Car Covers

There are many different types of car covers available on the market, and before purchasing one, it…See More
1 hour ago
Samuel posted a blog post
4 hours ago
Lois Burak posted a blog post

Is Your Digital Marketing Strategy Just OK?

To solve issues within most businesses an effective way is to use a compartmentalize strategy. Back…See More
13 hours ago
Simon Hopes posted a blog post

Top Five Tips for auto Intranet Setup

Setting up an intranet can be a daunting process for any business. After all, no matter how…See More
22 hours ago
Terrel Watkins posted a blog post
yesterday
Joel posted a blog post

Why are Fridays Good?

For some, this is Good Friday. For others, it is TGI Friday (I don't mean the restaurant).What's…See More
Friday
Sally Whitesell posted a blog post
Friday
Dave Anderson posted a blog post

Leading with Level One Accountability

There are four levels of accountability in any organization, and within the departments of that…See More
Friday
Scot Eisenfelder posted a blog post
Friday
Jim Flint posted a blog post
Friday
Cynthia Madison posted a blog post

Important considerations before buying your first car

Pollution became a matter of great importance in the past few years, considering the impact it has…See More
Friday
Bill Wittenmyer posted a video

Freebie Friday: How to Combat Flat Vehicle Sales

Bill Wittenmyer explains why dealerships shouldn't be afraid of slowing vehicles sales and the actions they can take to remedy that in this episode of Freebi...
Friday
Andy Church posted a video

Profit By Action Quick Tip: Prospecting

Sales people are not order takers. It is your responsibility to understand that your sales process starts with PROSPECTING, not the meet and greet. This Prof...
Friday
Yogesh Sashi posted blog posts
Friday
Jeff Cowan posted a blog post

Write Service Podcast: Episode 64- Holidays, Events, and Excuses

This week, Jeff covers three points about this maximizing this upcoming season of holidays and…See More
Thursday
Jeff Giere posted blog posts
Thursday
Brett Sutherlin posted a video
Thursday
Stella Lemon posted a blog post

Bike Information with Bike Owner Details

Check bike information and registration details with Owner Details, RTO, Insurance, Make model,…See More
Thursday
John Sternal posted a blog post

Swapalease.com Announces Its Top Vehicles for The Summer

Users Voted on What They Believe are the Top Vehicles for the Summer Months Based on…See More
Wednesday
Damian Boudreaux posted a blog post
Wednesday

Get Newsletter

© 2019   Created by DealerELITE.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service